Best Practices for Institutional Blogs
After reviewing the guidelines below, you can submit a request to have your blog featured.
Any users with an Adelphi Google Apps account can create a blog using the Blogger function associated with that account. View Google’s support site for Blogger.
The blog policy applies to blogs on the adelphi.edu or mail.adelphi.edu domains that a user or group (such as a club or department) wishes to have featured on social.adelphi.edu/blogs or on any page within the Adelphi website.
Goals for Featured Blogs
The goals of Adelphi University’s featured blogs are: (1) to publicize the activities, ideas, and vision of the University and its community; and (2) to provide a forum for discussion between students, faculty, staff and the larger Adelphi community.
Any blogger who wishes to be featured on the Adelphi website must have created the blog though their Adelphi Google Apps account. In addition, the blogger must invite firstname.lastname@example.org to have access as an administrator on the blog.
Please note: Adelphi IT will not make changes to content or design of your blog unless you request assistance. The purpose of adding email@example.com as an administrator is to ensure that we can intervene as needed with problems such as information security issues, serious legal issues that may affect the University, and technical issues such as blog authors leaving the University, requiring IT to invite other authors to maintain the group or department blog.
content and design standards
The URL for your blog is entirely up to you, but we strongly encourage you to include the word “adelphi” in your address (e.g., adelphi-chemistry.blogspot.com).
You are also free to customize your blog’s theme using the Blogger Template Designer. If you prefer, IT can assist you with the layout and design.
Anyone publishing content to or commenting on an Adelphi University blog agrees to the following:
- Adelphi University will feature blogs in support of scholarly, curricular, and co-curricular communications conducted by members of the University community. Current Adelphi University faculty, staff, administration, students, and alumni with an active network account may request that their blog be featured for such purposes that support the goals and vision of Adelphi University.
- Members of the Adelphi community who wish to have a featured blog must obtain approval from the head of their department, such as a dean or director.
- Featured blogs are subject to all applicable Adelphi University policies and local, state and federal laws. These policies include but are not limited to:
- All material posted on the blog service must be in compliance with copyright laws. Authors have the responsibility of acquiring all necessary permissions to post copyrighted material.
- The selling of online advertising space to non-University entities on any web page hosted or sponsored by Adelphi University is strictly forbidden.
- Announcements may not include content or links that, upon viewing, reasonably causes an intimidating, hostile, or offensive learning and/or working environment.
- Announcements may not be used to promote activities that are illegal, support commercial activities not associated with the University, or to provide personal financial gain.
- A blog may be considered in violation of content policies if it contains links to other sites that violate the policy.
- Blog users are responsible for their own submissions, whether the person is a blog author or a commenter. All members of the University community are encouraged to communicate differing perspectives. Community members are also, however, entitled to work and live in an environment free of harassment. Therefore any activity that violates Adelphi University’s policy on discrimination and harassment is prohibited on featured blogs. Be mindful of language and respectful of fellow users’ opinions. Adelphi University reserves the right to define what we feel is inappropriate content.
- The following statement must appear on all featured blogs: “The views and opinions expressed in this page are strictly those of the page author(s). The contents of this page have not been reviewed or approved by Adelphi University. The copyright and all related rights to original work posted via the blog service are owned by and are the sole responsibility of its author(s).”
- Adelphi University reserves the right to archive the content of all featured blogs for non-commercial, historical purposes. By requested your blog to be featured, authors grant Adelphi University non-exclusive rights to archive blog content in any format.
- Adelphi University offers the blogging service at the author’s own risk. The blog service is provided on an “as is” and “as available” basis. The University does not guarantee that it will provide ancillary software, such as databases and script languages, that authors may wish to use in their blogs.
- Adelphi University reserves the right to remove a blog from being a “featured blog”, at any time, at its sole discretion, if it is deemed that any content posted on the blog service that is in violation of University policy or local, state or federal law.
- Adelphi reserves the right to remove blogs from “featured” status that have been inactive for more than one month during the fall and spring semesters.
- Adelphi University reserves the right to change, at any time, at its sole discretion, the provisions of the blog service.
- Adelphi is not responsible for providing blog analytics or usage statistics. The Blogger tool has dashboards where you can view such data.
- Protect your privacy and the privacy of other individuals; be aware that what you write will be viewable by the public for extended periods of time.